Friday, November 11, 2011

Sharing Web Resources

The website I have chose to follow through newsletters is Zero to Three.
"ZERO TO THREE is a national, nonprofit organization that informs, trains, and supports professionals, policymakers, and parents in their efforts to improve the lives of infants and toddlers" (Zero to Three, 2011).

The reason I haven chosen Zero to Three is because I have read numerous documents and newsletters from Zero to Three through my work as an early intervention provider for my state.  Zero to Three has also been mentioned in many of my trainings I have attended.  Zero to Three is full of great resources and topics geared toward specific age levels, covering specific topics. 

No newsletters have arrived yet, so I visited the website.  When I searched for "changing demographics", a document came up that really peaked my interest.  It was titled, "State Policies to Improve the Odds for the Healthy Development and School Readiness of Infants and Toddlers".  The article discussed changing demographics as it relates to changes in the early childhood field and school readiness.  This article states that there are three main factors that can affect school readiness.  They are healthcare, quality early childhood programs, and parent/child realtionships.  All of these factors can be greatly affected and have changed over years due to changes in cultures and demographics. 

I learned a few startling statistics that I thought I would share with you.

  • "More than 10 million children, 42 percent of all children under age 6, live in low-income families and are especially vulnerable for poor school outcomes and poor health". 
  • Only "30 states require a newborn screening" and only "18 states require newborn screening for 28 metabolic definciencies recommended by the March of Dimes." 
  • Only "6 states offer paid maternity leave".
These statistics are startling considering these are all factors that can determine early childhood learning options and success in our young learners.

Resources

Stebbins, H. (2007). State Policies to Improve the Odds for the Healthy Development and School Readiness of Infants and Toddlers. Retrieved from Zero to Three website: http://main.zerotothree.org/site/DocServer/NCCP_article_for_BM_final.pdf?docID=4281

3 comments:

  1. I found it interesting that one of the factors stated for school readiness is Parent/child relationships. So often, the parent blames the teacher for their child not being on track at school. I can only hope there is a way for some of these parents to realize that they play a factor also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, I agree the statistical information is very concerning. I agree that Zero to Three is a great resource that provides quality information and training resources for infant/toddler teachers. I enjoy your blog every week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All three of the factors that you mentioned are so critical and it is important to recognize those and look at what we can do as professionals to seek information that will help us to get our schools and families prepared for what is to come in terms of school readiness. This is a great resource and hopefully you sharing this resource with us will allow us to become more knowledgeable. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete