Friday, December 16, 2011

Getting to Know my International Contacts-Part 3

I asked my international contacts the provided questions this week.  Their answers were both interesting and very informative.  It appears that the UK is in a possible transition period simliar to that of the US.  
   
1.  What issues regarding quality and early childhood professionals are being discussed where you live and work?
The biggest discussion in the Uk at the moment is whether you need a qualified teacher in a nursery class. (3-4 year olds) This was mooted a few years ago in N. Ireland but created such an uproar it was shelved but in some regions of Scotland it has already happened. I would envision that with the recession & budget cuts it will be brought up again.
We have 2 systems for preschool here - statutory (schools) with teachers & voluntary (playgroups) with no teachers. It creates a them versus us situation where schools feel in competition with playgroups & there is limited contact or collaboration between the 2.
There is also a drive to get all assistants (non teachers) educated to degree level.
2.  What opportunities and/or requirements for professional development exist?
There is little opportunity anymore for development unless you are willing to study part-time at night and pay for it yourself. Even when you do this you do not get any more pay but I did anyway for my own development. There is little incentive to do any further studies. I have found that blogging & following blogs has helped me become more reflective as a teacher.
3.  What are some of your professional goals?
I want to ensure that the children in my class get the best early years opportunities in their year with me. I want to offer them a unique outdoor learning experience that they can't get anywhere else. I hope to continue to develop European links for my school & would love ot undertake a study on early years proviosn in Australia & Scandinavia.
4.  What are some of your professional hopes, dreams, and challenges?
If money was no object I would establsih an outdoor kindergarten! However I feel very lucky to do a job I love.


I was surprised to see that Ireland voted down the decision to make certain requirements for teachers.  It seems to be an issue all over the world.  When talking about her professional goals, she mentioned making European links.  I am very interested to do a little research on Australia and Scandinavia to see what their education program looks like!

Unfortunately, S. Shieh, my second contact from Singapore, did not respond to my questions from this week.  I would've been very interested to hear what she had to say.


2 comments:

  1. It is amazing to realize how simular we are in terms of what a quality teacher should look like in terms of professional development. It is interesting to hear about the two types of systems for children. In my area it used to be that way between the school districts early childhood programs and Head Start. They overcame this segregation by blending classrooms with both Head Start teachers and school district teachers as well as the children are half H.S eligible children and the other are through the district programs. It has been very successful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The information that you gained from your contact was very interesting. The most interesting to me was the statutory vs. voluntary. I could see how the two groups would be competing. Hopefully one day, the two groups will learn that they need to work together so that every child gets the best of both worlds! I really loved your contacts dream of an outside kindergarten. That would be an ideal classroom with so much for the children to learn!

    ReplyDelete