Thursday, May 17, 2012

Communication Changes


Since starting this course, I have found myself communicating differently with all people in my life including family, colleagues, friends, clients, and my own children.  I have found myself thinking before I speak, mainly in terms of interruptions.  When discussing interrupting with fellow classmates last week I found it very interesting that many of us who were shy as a child now often have issues with interrupting others.  I am working at being a better listener when talking with people personally and professionally.  I feel having effectively listening skills can help in all aspects of my life.

This week’s Platinum Rule really hit home with me.  For so long many of us have taken the statement, “Do unto others as you would have others do unto you”, to heart.  Now realizing that that statement really doesn’t apply to most situations is eye opening.  The Platinum Rule has really made me look at my behaviors to others in a whole new light, and I am now often thinking about how that person would want to be treated instead of myself. 

When communicating with colleagues, parents, or individuals from different cultures I think it is important to implement these three strategies:

  1. Try to view the situation by placing myself in the other person’s shoes. 
  2. Be more aware of my own patterns of communication.
  3. Talk less and listen more. 

6 comments:

  1. Kristen, like you, I was a shy child as well and now that I have read your blog, it has also opened my eyes to realize when I am interrupting because I am guilty of it myself. The Platinum Rule also caused me to think differently as well, thank you for sharing your opinions and new revelations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen,
    I totally agree with you that talking less and listening more is so important. A couple weeks ago, I was having a conversation with my aunt and my mother and my aunt asked a question about something. She was surprised that I knew the answer and mensioned to my mom that the two of them should be more like me because you learn a lot more if you stop and listen. The two of them tend to talk and talk without thinking things through before they say them. I don't think my shyness is always a good thing, but I think there is a balance for how much people should talk vs. listening. I also think it depends on the conversation and who it is with. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen,
    In my opinion, the first step to effective communication is being aware of our own patterns of communication. It is important that we know how our nonverbal cues portray to others. I also have to agree with you about the Platinum Rule. Learning about culture and the different cues that people have, this rule seems more practical for effective communication. I think the Golden Rule is great for children during the phase of hitting and calling names. The Platinum Rule works out better for adults. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen,
    I like how you listed the specific considerations you take when communicating with others, it really helps to visualize and consider my own steps in communication to place myself in another person's shoes, be more attentive to my own communication characteristics, and Listen!
    That last skill can tend to be the one I get caught up on with certain people. At work when I'm talking to a child or parent for instance I don't feel as challenged to listen, compared to when I talk with someone I know on a more personal level, when I might be thinking of other things in my head, what I'm going to say next, etc. I'm always working on all my communication skills!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that we could all benefit from becoming better listeners. I like the idea of talking less and listening more because when we over talk people, we miss something that is of the utmost importance. I have a tendency to cut my significant other off without knowing what I am doing. I know that this is bad behavior--one that I am working on trying to change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, The three strategies that you implement are great and I am sure that they will work well with all of us on a personal and professional level. The Platinum Rule is indeed something to consider and exhibit in everday life and I agree that it helps to control interruptions during conversations. My family has an issue with cutting people off so I tend to not participate in their conversations. Thanks for sharing childhood experiences and sharing your new outlook on the Platinum Rule.

    ReplyDelete