Monday, April 2, 2012

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression

It seems that biased beliefs, prejudice, and oppression can be seen on a daily basis, in the news, on television, in conversations, in music, and on the internet.  I have personally been right in the middle of a very heated debate on the internet.  During this debate, I definitely felt oppressed due to my gender. 

A family member of mine posted a link about San Francisco possibly passing a law against circumcision.  He was a strong supporter of this.  Even though I have an opinion in the subject, I did not comment, until I noticed many strong supporters ganging up on a non-supporter.  I simply made the comment that as parents we are allowed to make many decisions for our children when they are infants.  We often choose whether we have our children baptized, whether to formula feed or breast feed, and whether or not to immunize them.  These are decisions that have been delegated to parents according to the parents beliefs according to what they belief is the best for their children, usually in regards to their health.  I have had to make many medical choices for my daughter in regards to what I believe is in her best interest.  Some people agreed with some of the specifics I said, but still didn’t agree with the right to choose circumcision stating that it was mutilation.  Then my family member stated that I had no right to enter into this conversation because I “do not have a penis”. 


This comment left me with the feeling that he felt I was not equal to him, and that he was superior to me due to gender.  I did not respond to his comment because I was not going to participate in a discussion that was obviously sexist.  I wanted to respond that I have just as much say in MY OWN OPINION.  He made me feel as if my own person opinion did not matter!  Not only is that my opinion, but I am a parent, and although I have two daughters, I have the ability of having a son.  My opinion is that my husband and I should be able to decide what we feel is the best decision for our son when it comes to this topic. 

If the discussion was about circumcision deemed as mutilation, the topic of gender rights should have never come up. I believe this family member was frustrated, and knew that oppressing me would be the best way to make me feel inferior to the discussion.  I feel that this family member obviously knew this sexist comment was not appropriate, but did it anyway.  It’s similar to saying that men have no say whether their child should be breast fed or not.  In my household this was a collective discussion between my husband and I when we found out we were expecting.  Sexism still occurs, whether it is deliberate or oppressed feeling or beliefs from the past.  Recognizing them is the first key to overcoming them!    

3 comments:

  1. Very good post. It was very interesting to read your personal experience. I loved your last sentence, it is so true the only way to overcome any type of biases is by first recognizing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting post on sexism! I was intrigued by the fact that a man decided that you could not make an informed decision in regard to circumsion because you were a woman. In light of the fact that men in politics have made and are still making decisions on women's reproductive rights, his statement is ridiculous. Sad to say, sexism is alive and well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting post about sexism. As a parent, we often have to make decisions for our children. As you know, I also have to make medical decisions for Owen. I had to take him to a urologist recently and the male doctor told me that "your husband would understand how uncomfortable it is to have a catheter". My response was "well actually Brian has never had a catheter, but I have". It was a simple remark, but it was a bit sexist. Great post, Kristen!!! -Sarah Holtz

    ReplyDelete