Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Thank you!

When starting this course I was excited to see many familiar names and others who I had never met before.  Over the last 8 weeks we have all explored many topics in diversity and equity.  Many of these topics led to many deep discoveries of hidden biases, personal beliefs, childhoods, and hopes for the future. 
My hope, when I think about working with children and families who come from diverse backgrounds, is that as educators we remain open-minded, maintain open communication, and show flexibility with children and families. 

If I had to choose one goal for the early childhood field, related to diversity, equity, and social justice, it would be:

Continue to seek opportunities to educate teachers, families, and children about the many aspects of diversity, equity, social justice, and culture.  Allow many opportunities for teachers, families, and children to share their own personal experiences openly in order to allow for open communications about diversity, equity, and social justice. 

I want to thank all of my fellow classmates for sharing so many personal experiences, knowledge, and insights about diversity and equity.  Working together has allowed me to discover many of my personal beliefs, values, and culture.  I have greatly benefited through our discussions and blog posts.  As you continue this journey through your master’s program, I hope that you continue to discover yourself and learn all the necessary skills to foster positive development and learning in the children that you teach.  Thanks so much for being such caring early childhood educators!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks, Kristen, for helping me to understand the topics we discussed in this course. Your personal experiences were very helpful to me. Good luck in your future courses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I think that your experiences have helped you with your own issues with teaching your children about accepting themselves and others. You are doing a great job! Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen, I could not agree more with your hope and goal for the early childhood field! I have learned so much from you and your experiences, not only from this course but from others as well. One of my new hopes is that as years go by, we remember this course and the work that we did, and to still stand up for anti-bias education! I hope to see you in another class, but if not, the best of luck as you continue your journey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen, I appreciated sharing this learning experience with you, I agree with your hopes that early childhood educators understand the importance of providing practices that educate our children to understand and appreciate differences. I look forward in our continuing journey of learning. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristen,

    I enjoyed reading your posts. I like your goal for the continuance of education of diversity, equity and social justice. I believe that is a must. It is never ending and something we need to stay current on. Thank you!

    Rachael

    ReplyDelete