Thursday, April 12, 2012

Welcoming Families From Around the World

The new “family” that I am going to be working with as a developmental therapist is from the country of Estonia.  I know nothing about Estonia.  In preparation for this family I have decided to do 5 things that will prepare me to be culturally responsive toward this family.

  1.  Locate geographical information on the country, including population and way of living (homes, food, etc).
  2. Discover information regarding dominant culture (race, age, family structure, economic class, religious beliefs and language usage).
  3. Locate information regarding current educational practices.
  4. Gain information regarding medical practices and what resources are available to families in Estonia such as therapies.
  5. Research local resources for the families that may be helpful when immigrating into The United States such as local cultural groups, translators, education, medical care, etc).


I believe knowing this information will benefit me and the family by knowing more about the background of the culture to help ease the child into therapy by being able to relate more.  I also think this will allow the family to see that I am a dedicated therapist who strives for what is best for their child. 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the information on Estonia. I had little idea where it was either. I like your ideas for becoming culturally responsive. I think it is very important to see what resources are available locally that might be supportive of immigrants. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, your post was very interesting..I to had little understanding of the country of Estonia..this was a challenging and educated assignment. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas. The medical needs of a child are very important to know, as different cultures have varying treatments. Great information on Estonia. SARAH HOLTZ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Post!! You thought of things I did not even think of! Having resources for the family is an excellent idea! Thank you for sharing your ideas with us!

    ReplyDelete